A beach lovers paradise and a perfect place to relax with your book -Seychelles- a country made up of small islands with 2 mode of transport connecting them – water and air.
Landing at Mahe airport was amazing as we could see water around till we landed. The airport is small and citizens from most countries like India have visa on arrival. Calling card and currency exchange was readily available. People were very friendly and the economy works on tourism.
If you like adventure, you will find this fascinating:
Day 1: We hopped on to Praslin (Pra-li-n) which is 2 hours ferry ride from Mahe. It is less populated and smaller than the capital. Frequency of bus is every 30 minutes and takes you round the island in 5 Seychelles rupees. Every hotel has cab service and bus time table. We checked in to the hotel and headed to Anse lazio – one of the most beautiful beaches in Praslin. It is 10 minutes walk from Grand Anse bus stop surrounded by trees and greenery. Water is so clear that one can see white fishes on white sand.
Tip: Carry sunscreen, snorkling glasses and bread to feed fishes.
Caution: There was a Shark incident in 2011 on Anse Lazio.
Anse Lazio : https://youtu.be/dPTgYxLtlW4
Day 2: We took the island hopping excursion to Curieuse, Cousin and St. Pierre island. Cousin island is famous for the variety of migrating birds. Curieuse island has turtle farms with 400+ year old tortoises. St. Pierre has clear water and good for snorkling. The excursion costed 100 Euros and included lunch.
turtle vedio : https://youtu.be/Rc2q6ZwRAMw
Day 3: We took morning ferry to La Digue from Baie Sainte Anne jetty which takes nearly an hour to reach(time table is also available in hotels or you can pick on Day 1 when you arrive at the jetty). We explored La Digue on a bike available at the jetty for 100 Seychelles rupees. Head towards Anse Source D’Argent – one of the most photographed beaches. The ride is a pleasant one crossing L’Union Estate Farm (Entry fees – 65 Seychelles rupees pp).
The beach might not be appealing at first because of the sea weeds, but make sure to carry a camera. Walking into the water was like walking into a natural aquarium. We took a ferry back to Praslin at 6 pm.
Caution: Sunscreen is a must and snorkling glasses are optional.
Day 4: We enjoyed some beach time at the hotel and hopped back to Mahe for next hotel check in. We made scuba diving reservations on this day.
Optional places to visit:
1. Vallee de Mai for nature walk or anse du gouverneur for snorkling. The nature reserve is little expensive but you will see national bird – Black parrot and national fruit – Coco-de-mer. Most of this reserve can be seen from the road as it cuts through the reserve.
2. Anse du gouverneur is famous for sting ray spotting.
Day 5: We had an hour of scuba training where the instructor took us for a small dive to give us the instructions for the actual dive. We spent the day on beau vallon beach.
Day 6: Today we dived 30 mts deep at one of the diving spots good for novice divers. It was famous for spotting fishes, sharks, stingrays, sea turtles and Octopus. The dive took us into a different world ilunder the sea and i regret not having a go pro.We saw a small shark which was a scary experience for me especially since i dont know to swim (not that if i could swim, i would have swam faster than the shark, but it feels safer).
Day 7: We tried the local cuisine Creole curry and shopped for some local handmade soaps and oils at Sir Selwyn-Clarke Market in Victoria. It was time to say good bye to the beautiful beaches and scenic greenery of the reserves of seychelles, we left with some wonderful memories.
For photos :nisha.shettyy
Optional things to do in Mahe:
1. Early morning hike in National park or Anse Major trail and visit the tea factory.
Things to note:
- Always carry sunscreen and aloe vera gels.
- Praslin is safe for night walks.
- Euro/USD are accepted by everyone including locals.
- Specifically mention the need for safety jackets if you are not comfortable swimming in a sea. Locals assume everybody is a swimmer.
- Opt for hotel on the south or east side of Praslin. It is close to Jetty.
- Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay – Rooms are small but it has a Aqua centre for diving and snorkling and private beach.
Recommended transfer services:
- Cat Coco for major island transfers.
- Basil – email@example.com
Berjaya beau vallon:
Castello beach resort: